Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: Year of the Snake Mouse

On the last day of the year, I was driving around on errands while listening to, as I often do, The Karel Show. (I download podcasts, burn them on rewritable CDs so I can use them over again, and listen on my car’s CD player because I don’t have an iPod yet…though I can also listen to podcasts on my smartphone.) Karel was interviewing Beatrice Bruno, author of the book How To Get Over Yourself, Get Out of Your Own Way, and Get What YOU Want Out of Life!

The gist of the interview was that we say we want happiness – whether that means a romantic relationship, a fulfilling career, financial security, or all of the above plus more – but our actions don’t move us in that direction. For example, we don’t leave our homes so we can have the opportunity to meet the people who can help us with our goals. Karel and Ms. Bruno talked about a (often unconscious) fear of success – fear of the major changes, responsibilities, and yes, the problems which come along with it. “Failure is comfortable, success is uncomfortable,” said Ms. Bruno.

I have been away from the in-office workforce for three-and-a-half years now, working as a freelance writer and graphic designer. I am earning only a third of what I used to (which wasn’t much to begin with). Two Dogs has been enormously supportive during this time, but it’s up to me to tend to my business so that it grows the way I wish it to.

I remembered that 2013 is the Chinese (Lunar) Year of the Snake. I was also born in a Year of the Snake.

Now, I am no true believer in ass-trology from any culture. However, I see a motif which may be helpful.

What if, in 2013, I became a Snake Mouse – a mouse with the tough, hardy skin of a snake (to defend against taking rejection too personally) and a rattle (to sound off about what I can do)?


Snake Mouse. Now, that sounds like one cool character.

When it comes to talking, I have come to understand that:

1. I don’t like to talk unless I have a good reason to do so, and
2. I don’t like to approach people unless I have something to say to them.

My task for 2013 is to find the situations where I have good reason to talk (about my business) and to find the people to whom I have something to say (so I can help them with my business).

To do that, I have to move out of my own way.

Watch out, inertia. The Snake Mouse is waking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment