Saturday, March 17, 2012

Wait a minute…

Not too long ago while I was in Target, I found these unusual-looking Cheerios boxes:


The type is not quite as slick. The bowl is old-timey, like it came down from Grandma’s cupboard. There is no proclamation that Cheerios is good for your heart.

It turns out that this is a cross-promotion of General Mills with Atari to celebrate the video game company’s 40th anniversary. Boxes of Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch will revert to their early 1980s look for a short period of time. (You can only find these boxes at Target.)

I thought that was kind of cute…but then I realized something.

In the early 1980s, I was going to high school.

Today, a cereal box I would have seen while I was in high school is marketed as nostalgia.

What does that make me? (I hope it’s not a word that starts with O and ends with D. Unless that word is organized.)

No comments:

Post a Comment