Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fauxpologies, schmauxpologies




 Photo credit: Microsoft Clip Art (text is mine)

You know what the “fauxpology” is all about:

“I’m sorry that you were offended.”

“I meant no harm.”

“I was only joking.”

Blah blah blah.

Now, some of you want something more. You want a real apology. An apology that not only knows that what was said was wrong wrong wrong, but comes with a promise that it will never happen again, and if I should inadvertently offend again, I will prostate myself to your mercy.

What about this novel idea?

Let’s not give a damn about the fauxpologies.

Hoping for a real apology from someone who is not really sorry is like hoping to redo childhood so that it’s happy happy joy joy.

It’s not going to happen.

Give it up, and choose to be happy anyway.

When wrong is done to me, I would far prefer justice to apology.

And sometimes, justice comes in the form of not giving a damn about past insults and being happy anyway.

Stop wishing and hoping that professional trolls like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter will see how wrong they have been all these years. (Especially when being wrong is mega-profitable.)

If someone speaks in a tone-deaf way – write about it, for sure. Expose it to the light of reason.

But do not expect or demand apology, for it may not come in the way you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment