Monday, July 19, 2010

The time to waste on waste is over



Today I turn 45.

This post is not going to be one of those maudlin, no-one-cares-about-this-but-me essays. At least, I hope it doesn’t come out that way. (I’m writing this early in the morning.)

But it is highly possible that I have passed the halfway point of my lifespan. That means the time to waste on waste is over.

Waste in the form of watching television I’m not really into (which means about 99% of what spews out of the glass teat* these days).

Waste in the form of reading text online that doesn’t give back. (That is especially true of comments sections – but not for this blog!)

Waste in the form of not listening to the audio files I download.

Waste in the form of not spending enough time outdoors.

Waste in the form of not making bold statements out of fear of other people’s blowback.

Waste in the form of not having confidence in my professional abilities.

Waste in the form of not charging enough for my work.

Waste in the form of worrying that I might end up in a Wal-Mart uniform.

Waste in the form of not spending enough time with Two Dogs.

Waste in the form of making this post longer than it needs to be. (I have so much more to do and be today!)



* Thanks to Harlan Ellison for this metaphor. Find and read his books The Glass Teat and The Other Glass Teat, please.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennie!

    Looking good, birthday girl! I'm 24 and I definitely have a sense that there is a lot of time. I imagine I will lose that as I get older. I like your spunk! Not charging enough for your work is a definite waste. Don't sell yourself short, girl! I imagine insecurity can plague anyone at any age, so maybe you need to remind yourself that you're worth it... Share some more stuff here! My bloggie friends always give me a boost.

    That cupcake looks amazing!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ashley,

    Thanks so much for your encouragement. I am a fan of cupcakes (once in a while). I was hoping for a chocolate one, but this white one was good, too. It had amazing frosting!

    ReplyDelete