Thursday, May 10, 2012

A walk (and a thought) in the park

Last Sunday, I took a walk in Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley. I used to go there more often in the past (I used to exercise on the fitness path, using all of the exercise stations – I can still feel the burn, as well as the joy of enjoying a cool treat at the 7-11 across the street.)

I chose this park because I was looking for baby ducks once again – and not only did I find baby ducks, I found baby geese:


For this meandering mouse, a walk is never just a walk. This day’s pondering was about the nature of freelance work.

Working freelance and creating my own schedule means I can take a walk in the park any afternoon of the week – not just Sunday. That is freelance privilege.

Working freelance and creating my own schedule also means that any waking hour is a potential working hour. That is freelance responsibility. That is why I asked myself why the hell was I out here – even on a Sunday afternoon.

I would not have thought that if I still worked in the office.

And what are you, my fine fellow?

But wait – walking, and other physical activity, is important to my freelance career. I am no good to myself or my clients if I am overstressed and itching to get outside. Walking keeps me alert, creative, healthy, and happy. It is not at all a waste of time.

I want to get back to Mile Square soon, on a weekday, perhaps in summer when bike rentals are available seven days a week. If I can get Two Dogs to come along, perhaps we’ll rent a two-seat surrey bike (wait, it has four wheels so it's not really a bike).

After all, meandering also happens on wheels.

1 comment:

  1. They will throw illegal immigrants out voraciously. They will end social welfare. They will downsize the government by 80% and return to a peaceful prosperous existence with strong social and moral values. In other words they are opposed to everything the present government wants now. The government would rather throw the country into revolution or secession than have the conservatives run the country.
    Buy League of Legends Account

    LOL Boost

    ReplyDelete