Thursday, January 12, 2012

I don’t think I will ever get used to…



…the word “actor” being applied to females.

It stops me cold every time I see it in print. It just feels weird…like putting the left shoe on the right foot.

I would find it strange if I read the word “aviatrix” or “doctress” in a current newspaper. Why, then, is “actress” so acceptable to me?

Maybe it’s just the word I grew up with.

Years ago, I read a review of a play based on the Delaney sisters’ story – remember them? – in OC Weekly. The reviewer was peeved that the Delaney sisters used the word “colored” instead of newer, more socially acceptable words. Well, “colored” was the word they grew up with – why was that so hard to understand?

I am also concerned about an unintended consequence of “actor” becoming unisex. If anyone can be an “actor,” why not have just two acting categories in awards shows – “Best Actor” and “Best Supporting Actor,” open to both males and females?

Sometimes, there might be more males than females nominated – and, sometimes, the guys would take both awards.

If you are the kind of person who insists that everyone is an “actor,” you will probably not like that scenario very much.

Think about it as movie awards season begins this Sunday (the 15th) with the Golden Globes on NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment